Do you know what is the building inspection? We tell you all about inspection and how it affects the sale of flats.
The sale of apartments is one of the most important economic decisions of life, so it is necessary to have all the information about the property so that in the long term you know that you have made a wise decision. In this sense, the Certificate of building inspection plays a fundamental role.
For that reason, in this article we tell you everything you need to know about it if you are going to sell or buy a house :
- What is the building inspection?
- Is it mandatory in all buildings?
- Can you sell a house without inspection?
- How is it used in the sale of real estate?
- How is it done and who does it?
- Building inspection results
- What do you analyze?
- How much does it cost and who pays it?
- What happens if the building does not pass the inspection?
What is the building inspection?
The building inspection is an examination that must be performed periodically in all buildings. During the inspection, different elements of the property that affect their safety and the quality of life of the people who inhabit it are reviewed.
Is it mandatory that all buildings pass the building inspection?
Yes, all buildings between 30 and 50 years old (depending on the municipality) must pass the building inspection. This includes multi-family buildings, single-family homes or any other type of construction. According to the results of the first inspection, the following must be done every 3, 6 or 10 years.
Can a house be sold without the building inspection?
Only if the property is obliged to pass the building inspection, it is mandatory that before the signature before the notary of the contract of sale the seller delivers to the buyer:
- A copy of the report of the building inspection.
- The certificate of proficiency derived from the inspection.
However, there are exceptions:
- If the aptitude certificate cannot be obtained because the inspection determines that the building has serious or very serious deficiencies that have not been resolved, the house can be sold with a copy of the building inspection report. This must be accredited with the date of presentation to the administration.
- If there are justified reasons for the seller not to obtain any of the documents, the notary will have to attest to that. In that case the buyer may exonerate the seller from delivering the inspection.
In any case, the inspection cannot invalidate a sale, although the notary must attest if the building has the necessary documents, if the certificate of fitness is provisional or if it needs restoration.
How does building inspection affect the sale of a house?
The first thing that is valued when buying a home is the state in which it is located, if it has electricity, etc. It is very important as a seller to teach the building inspection certificate, since:
- The buyer can use this aspect as a weapon in his favor in negotiating the final price to buy the house for less money.
- In addition, except for the exceptions mentioned above, it is a fundamental requirement to present the inspection before the notary if you want to process the public deed of sale .
Without forgetting that the buyer can back down in the purchase decision because:
- To the final price of the house it would be necessary to add an extra charge to obtain the certificate of fitness of the inspection.
- Not having the inspection can mean being sanctioned by the administration in the future.
- Banks may refuse to provide mortgage loans.
How is the building inspection done and who does it?
- If you are a private owner, you must request the building inspection budget from the authorized technician (architects, riggers and building engineers). If you are not, it will be the community of owners who must request it.
- The technician will pass you the budget and, after your approval, will arrange a date for the visit.
- On the agreed day, the technician will perform the inspection visually . You can also ask the property for related documents such as the IEE (Building Evaluation Report) or the EEC ( Energy Efficiency Certificate ), data on reforms and previous building inspection reports.
- After the exam, the technician will issue a qualification that he introduces on an electronic platform. Once the building inspection has been signed, it will be delivered to the Administration so that it can issue the certificate of aptitude.