Recently, window shutters were perceived as a decorative element of the rural style of architecture, so they were installed very rarely. However, recently the fashion for this element of the facade has begun to return, as a result of which the shutters can now be seen in modern homes. And on sale, there was a wide range of these products which differ not only in design, but also in operational qualities, and also functions which they carry out.
Why do you need shutters?
As you know, windows are the most vulnerable place in the house, in terms of security, as the glass is easy to break to penetrate into the room. Of course, you can install bars to increase security, however, they do not protect the windows from vandals.
Therefore, if you leave the house for a long time, the most reliable way to protect is the shutters. Accordingly, first of all, it is possible to recommend using shutters for windows in a summer residence. However, even if you live in the house permanently, they will also not be superfluous.
The fact that the shutters can perform other functions:
- allow you to limit the view through the windows in the dark, and are able to protect the room from intense sunlight, ie they can be used instead of curtains or blinds;
- can additionally protect from the cold on frosty days, in addition, serve as additional sound insulation;
- often used as a decorative element that adorns the facade of the building. In particular, they can emphasize the belonging of the house to one or another.
Thus, these are a really useful and practical element of the facade, so it is not surprising that the fashion for them is back.
Wooden shutters can be called a classic option, as we present them when it comes to this element of window protection. It should be noted that wooden windows are both internal and external.
Indoors, as a rule, perform a decorative function, as well as protect the room from the sun. The exterior copes well with the protective and decorative function.
Depending on the type of construction, wooden are divided into several types:
- single-leaf sliding – consist of one door, respectively, suitable for small windows;
- double-leaf plows – have two doors, as a result of which they can be used with both narrow and wide windows;
- complex multi-leaf – consist of several leaves, which consist of an accordion. The advantage of this design is that the window can be closed in full, but only a third or half;
- blinds – are plowed or complex structures, inside which are the slats. The special mechanism allows changing a corner of lamellas, as in usual blinds. Thus, you can adjust the flow of sunlight into the room.
If the house is small and low, it is better to use internal shutters, as they will seem too massive.
Among the advantages of wooden products are the following:
- environmental friendliness;
- attractive appearance – often wooden shutters are decorated even with carvings;
- durability, the only thing these products require periodic care;
- can be strong and reliable.
Therefore, wooden shutters are the most popular. Their cost starts from 2000-3000 thousand dollars per square meter. The most expensive are carved products – the price of such shutters can reach 8000-10000 dollars per square meter.
Steel shutters are the strongest, so they are used primarily as a protective. However, do not think that they will not be able to decorate the facade of the building. For example, products with forging elements look very beautiful and are not inferior to wooden analogues in terms of aesthetics.
As for the design, the iron shutters are often plow single-leaf and double-leaf. In addition, there are louver models.
It is necessary to tell separately about such kind of products, as roller shutters. They are a canvas consisting of slats. When lifting, the canvas folds into a roll.
As a rule, such a design is equipped with an electric drive, which simplifies their operation, as you do not need to open and close the shutters with your own hands. Some models are even equipped with a remote control.
These products cannot be called decorative, so they are rather anti-vandal. Of course, they can also be used for sun protection. And it is possible to fix a cloth in any position that allows closing windows partially.
Metal models of shutters come with an external and internal safe lock, which can be opened only from inside the house. For giving which you leave for a long time without supervision, it is more expedient to use products with the internal lock.
Among the advantages of these products are the following:
- high strength;
- do not swell from moisture and do not crumble, unlike wooden analogs;
- long service life, the only thing they also need to be cared for periodically.
Ordinary plowed metal shutters for windows cost an average of 3,500 dollars per square meter. Decorated with forging products, of course, much more expensive.
If you have a welding machine, you can make simple metal with your own hands. They consist of a frame, which is usually welded from a profile pipe or corner, as well as cladding in the form of a steel sheet, ie the design is quite simple.
Aluminum shutters are of the following types:
- louvered plows;
- roll cassettes.
It is worth noting that aluminum products have an attractive appearance. Most often, they even imitate wooden shutters. Therefore, they can be purchased as decorative, as well as for sun protection.
As for the protective function, the aluminum models can not fully cope with this task, as they are inferior in strength to some wood and especially metal counterparts. However, in any case, it is much more difficult to get into a window closed by such shutters than into an unprotected one, and they also protect against vandals. Therefore, aluminum models are perfect for homes in which someone lives permanently.
In addition, these products have other advantages:
- differ in small weight that simplifies their transportation and installation;
- not prone to corrosion and adverse environmental effects. However, over time, you may need them.
- can have not only rectangular but also arched shape.
The cost of these products starts from 3,000 dollars per square meter. However, there are expensive models from manufacturers, the cost of which is several times higher than the price of metal counterparts.
made of plastic
Finally, consider the plastic shutters. These products have an attractive appearance, and there is a fairly large range of their design. There are models under a tree imitating a wood texture, and also one-color products.
As you can guess, the main task of plastic is to decorate the facade and protect the room from the sun. In terms of strength, they are, of course, inferior to all the above products, so they are not suitable for protecting homes from penetration.
However, their popularity does not suffer due to the following advantages:
- low cost – from 1500-2000 dollars per square meter;
- not exposed to environmental influences:
- have low weight thanks to what they can be mounted both on walls, and directly on plastic windows or wooden frames;
- do not need care;
- simple installation instructions, so you can install them yourself.
As we found out, there are currently many types of shutters that are designed to perform different tasks. Therefore, when choosing you need to decide on the features that are important to you.
Another article on this blog that might interests you: